Unpossible!

Looking trim, Malc. The exercise is paying off

Post subject: Re: Finish 52 Wild Swims
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:12 
Isn't that lovely?

DavPaz wrote:
Looking trim, Malc. The exercise is paying off

Thanks!

I don't really feel it at the moment, and the Scales are refusing to budge after losing about 8kg, but a few people have said it, so I guess it must be true, which is nice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:17 
Isn't that lovely?

Findus Fop wrote:
I'm heading to bigbury in a couple of days. Lovely part of the world

It is absolutely lovely, it's my closest (lifeguarded at least, Mothercombe is closer, but it's tiny and not apt for walking) beach, and the beach that we have been to the most since we moved here. As I said the waves are quite good too, so if you like a bit of surf it's good too

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 16:38 
Prince of Fops

Malc wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

It is absolutely lovely, it's my closest (lifeguarded at least, Mothercombe is closer, but it's tiny and not apt for walking) beach, and the beach that we have been to the most since we moved here. As I said the waves are quite good too, so if you like a bit of surf it's good too

Ah you're very lucky to have this all around you.

I will recreate the shot for lucky beexers next Wednesday.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 15:36 
Prince of Fops

Findus Fop wrote:
Malc wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

Ah you're very lucky to have this all around you.

I will recreate the shot for lucky beexers next Wednesday.

Couldn't quite get the timing with the tide right, and son's patience for perfecting the frame was limited

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 21:48 
Isn't that lovely?

Malc wrote:
1) Long Timber Woods
2) Long Timber Woods
3) Piles Copse
4) Piles Copse
5) Piles Copse
6) Piles Copse
7) Piles Copse
8) Piles Copse
9) Piles Copse
10) Piles Copse
11) Piles Copse
12) Piles Copse
13) Piles Copse
14) Piles Copse
15) Piles Copse
16) Piles Copse
17) Piles Copse
18) Piles Copse
19) Piles Copse
20) Piles Copse
21) Piles Copse
22) Piles Copse
23) Piles Copse
24) Piles Copse
25) Mothecombe Beach
26) Bigbury Beach
27) Bigbury Beach

28) Piles Copse

First Swim of September done. wanted to go up the day before, but it had rained significantly, so 2 days of sun is better than one, for reducing the mud and warming the water.

Speaking of, the water was not as cold as I expected, not quite "warm" but I didn't need to get used to it, other than the initial 1second shock. I managed 14/16 lengths (I lost count) I would have done more, but sunset was 19:50 and it takes 3 hours to walk there and back (plus time for swimming).
I did wonder if that was going to be last post work walk/swim in Piles Copse until next year. However...

29) Piles Copse

I went again today, it's been pretty rainy, but yesterday wasn't too bad, and today was really sunny, so I thought I would give it a go. The ground was sodden in places, but I was making good time, (sunset was even earlier than last week, so I had that on my mind) It was quite windy in Ivybridge, and up on the moors too, but when I was in the shelter of Sharp Tor (not that one) it was still. However, the clouds decided to show up, so the temperature dropped.

I was quite reluctant to get in, as it looked cold, however, it wasn't too bad (albeit colder than last time) I again managed 14 lengths, but the temperature was noticeably cooler once I got out, and I was very glad to have bought my hoodie. I'll need to start taking my gloves again.

On the way back the light was getting very dim, and I really don't think I will be able to get up there again after work (so weekends only) I will still have Long Timber Woods, which I should be able to manage until the clocks go backwards.

My prediction for the end of the year is that I will end on around 36 swims (which would be 3 a month) which if I make that, I will award myself a C+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 14:19 
Isn't that lovely?

Malc wrote:
1) Long Timber Woods
2) Long Timber Woods
3) Piles Copse
4) Piles Copse
5) Piles Copse
6) Piles Copse
7) Piles Copse
8) Piles Copse
9) Piles Copse
10) Piles Copse
11) Piles Copse
12) Piles Copse
13) Piles Copse
14) Piles Copse
15) Piles Copse
16) Piles Copse
17) Piles Copse
18) Piles Copse
19) Piles Copse
20) Piles Copse
21) Piles Copse
22) Piles Copse
23) Piles Copse
24) Piles Copse
25) Mothecombe Beach
26) Bigbury Beach
27) Bigbury Beach
28) Piles Copse
29) Piles Copse

30) Long Timber Woods

No longer enough light to get up to Piles Copse after work, I had initially planned on a 90 minute scenic route to Long Timber Woods (the swimming spot is about 20 minutes away from my house), but I wasn't feeling it, so straight there and back it was.

When I got there, the rocks were damp and slippery (one of the main reasons I don't go here that often, is that it's not nice to get in and out of), but that didn't deter me.

I eased in, and for the first time in a while I had to really acclimatise to the water (this part of the river is in the woods, so doesn't get much sin light, so if often cooler than on the moors) only took a couple of minutes though, so not too bad,.

This part of the river is wider than Piles Copse, and I ended up swimming 10 circular laps (which I'd guess were about 35-40m each). I also took advantage of some rocks by the waterfall to dive in a few times, also good fun!

I was starting to feel the cold a bit, so got out, got dressed and started the walk home.

within 5 minutes or so, I felt something like an insect bite on my right forearm, I looked down, and I saw what I can only describe as thin dried up slug (or like a long thin caramelised slice of onion

I swatted at it twice, and it stayed there, and on the time it was removed.

there were small light brown stains on my arm, near where it was, which came off with a little water and rubbing.

I googled leeches uk on my phone and found this:

Attachment:
close-up-leech-on-finger-1296x728-header[1].jpg

Which looks very much like what it was.

I have been swimming in that location for 17 years and have never had a leech on me before. Also, its at the base of a waterfall, and my understanding is that they like stagnant water, so I think I must have got it as I climbed over the damp rocks. If it was even that, it could have been a weird stick fly thing ( I didn't really let it stay on me for more than a couple of seconds after I saw it was there)

So it's left me in two minds about swimming there again. Which is a shame

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 21:34 
Isn't that lovely?

I'll sort this out properly when on pc, but I went back to Piles Copse today.

My wife gave me a lift to Harford (about 2/3rds of the way there) saving me about half an hour of daylight. I also decided to head home via the North side of the river instead of my usual route home on the south side as it is less wooded and more open.

Attachment:
PXL_20240919_172633349~2.jpg

Getting across was tricky, the rocks were very slimy, but once there, I managed 16 lengths and could have stayed longer if sun set wasn't issue.

Attachment:
PXL_20240919_175528272.jpg

No leeches and the walk home was amazing. I just wished I could have shared it with someone. It was almost spiritual, the sun was setting and the countryside was perfect. I was really moved, and almost in tears

Attachment:
PXL_20240919_175522507.jpg

Attachment:
PXL_20240919_183848894.jpg

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2